Motion Planning Seminar Series
planning is of interest in various projects in
robotics as it is how intelligent decisions translate into intelligent
Put anotherway, motion
drives robots, and robots drive us.
The idea behind the seminar series is to discuss and share knowledge on
the various topics that make up this vast subject. The
initial focus is on sample-based motion planning methods such as
Rapidly-exploring Random Trees (RRTs), Probabilistic Roadmaps
(PRMs), and randomized potential fields.
If you are new to motion planning, the motion planning chapter of the Springer
Handbook on Robotics is a good start.
Time & Place:
The seminar meets from 1:00-2:30 pm on alternating Tuesdays in the
RTCMA Meeting Room (Link Bldg., J13, Room #325).
The reading materials being discussed in the seminar (cached locally
for convenience, ACFR access only). Be sure to also see
materials in the Repository.
- October & November: Motion Planning in Practice: The DARPA Grand Challenge (see Paper Cache)
- October 12 (Monday at 10:30): ACFR Seminar Autonomous Driving by Larry Jackel
- October 13: Motion Planning used by UGCV CMU Boss (JFR 25(8): 425–466) (particularly sections 3, 6.2, 6.3.3, and 10 -- see also cached copy). See also:
- October 27: Motion Planning used by the Stanford robots:
- November 10: Interesting Motion Planning ideas used by other teams:
- November 24: Comparison of Motion Planning Methods (including a discussion of motion planning on the Sydney/Berkely RAV4)
- September 28: Open discussion on "The Curse of Dimesnionality"
- September 8: ICRA Paper Draft "Open Mic"
- August 25: Likhachevm and Ferguson, "Planning Long Dynamically Feasible Maneuvers for Autonomous Vehicles," IJRR 2009
(similar to work also presented at RSS 2008, IROS 2008, JFR 2008).
- August 11: RI-style Non-holonomic Trajectory
- July 27:
Hsu, Kindel, Latombe, and Rock,
"Randomized Kinodynamic Motion Planning with Moving Obstacles" IJRR 2002.
- July 7 and
July 14: S. M. LaValle and J. J.
Kuffner, Jr., "Randomized Kinodynamic Planning," IJRR 2001.
- June 9, 16,
and 23: Papers
and Videos from ICRA 2009:
- May 5:
Sections 14.1 and 14.2 (Introduction and Reachability) of Sampling-Based
Planning Under Differential Constratints.
- April 28:
More of Section 13.2 and 13.3 (even more Differential Models
- April 14:
Section 13.2 on Differential Models
- March 31:
(note delay of one week): Sections 13.1.1 (velocity
constraints) and 18.104.22.168 (simple car)-22.214.171.124 (diff drive)
- March 17:
(from S.B. Wiku, Introduction
to Robotics: Analysis, Systems, and Applications 2001)
- March 10: Sections
5.5 and 5.3 of Sampling-Based Motion Planning.
- February 23:
- February 10:
Sections 5.1, 5.4, and 5.5 of Sampling-Based
Chapter 5 by S. LaValle from Planning Algorithms.
- January 27:
Motion Planning Terminology List.